College Days - 2 Study holiday

23 Nov 2003

The alarm went off at 7:15am. I got up and remembered that I was home alone. My parents had gone to attend a marriage and so I had been alone for 3 days now. So I went downstairs and took the garbage from the kitchen. The garbage man came to collect the garbage at 7:30am. And the servant came at almost the same time. So I did what was now almost a routine. Placed the garbage bag outside the front door. Took in the milk in another bag hanging on the door handle and the Mathrubhoomi on the floor. I kept the door unlocked so the servant could get in, put the newspaper on the teapoy and put the milk on the dining table and went back to sleep in the downstairs bedroom. I slept for an hour more. Then when I got up, I could hear the servant washing up the dishes and the washing machine humming. I went into the kitchen and saw that she had already boiled the milk. Great. I made coffee from the decoction my mother had made
before she left. Then I settled down with the coffee and skimmed through the paper in 10mts. No great movies in HBO or star movies that I hadn’t seen. Good lesser the distraction. But I guessed it was going to be a computer monopoly that day. By then it was 9:00. So I went into the kitchen. My mother had made a huge quantity of dosa maavu and had kept it in the fridge. I transferred a small amount into another vessel and kept the dosa chatti on the stove. Usually my mother uses oil, but I found a bottle of ghee and so ghee it was. It was my duty to make breakfast for me and the servant. I made four and then I asked her to make her own :D. In between that I made tea for three. Yeah I drink a lot of tea. The secret of making good tea is a mystery. I can make good tea almost all the time. But I don’t put in an effort to make good tea. It just comes out right. The time you let it boil, the amount of tea powder you put in, the time you wait after you boil it before you add the milk, all plays a part. To accompany the dosas, in place of the usual chutney, I had urukkiya sharkara melted by my mother for I don’t know what. It is a pretty decent combination especially with ghee dosas.
Breakfast done, I remembered that I had to give my bike for its 5th free service. I took it
to kaloor international stadium where the service centre was located. They said I could have it by 3:00. I caught a bus home and walked from the stop. I have been walking lesser and lesser these days what with my father going on tour most of the month and not wanting the bike. I came back home and the servant left. I didn’t know then that the exam had been postponed so I was tensed as I hadn’t studied much. Just 1.5 modules in OOD. Had plans to study that till the 22nd and then start networks. Big plans. Two pages read and I am in front of my computer, a renegade homicide detective in love with a murder suspect. A computer game called Max Payne 2. Beautiful graphics that makes my system upgrade worthwhile and a good story line. There is humour, love, sex, bad language, violence – anything in the latest western flicks. All you gaming shunners out there are missing a lot. That went on till 1:30pm when my stomach started to growl and I was badly in need of a bath too. So I bathed and went into the kitchen for lunch. My poor mother had made food that would last for a few days so that I needn’t waste time making it and thus my studies get affected. There was rice, a moar ozhicha kootan , and the remains of yesterdays beetroot mezhukkupuratti. I thought I will make another mezhukkuporatti of my own. And I chose the best vegetable of them all, be it simplicity in making, or for sheer taste and availability, the universal potato. I kept the rice and kootan in a cooker for heating. The potato mezhukkupuratti is easy to make. Skin the potatos, slice them and keep them in a frying pan with some coconut oil. Add a little manjal podi and mulakupodi and salt, stir it a little over a mild flame and cover the pan. Stir occasionally and 5mts later, voila!, a dish that smells heavenly, looks good and tastes great. After lunch, I had to pick up my bike. Met a guy in cusat who had come there to service his bike. Maybe it’s the exams that makes one do the servicing. Well the guy said s6 results will be out the next day. Woah. I had my doubts like most of us have especially the ones who have had supplees. Well anyway. I wanted it to come so that I could know my s4 supplee result. So I came back home and got back to studying for 15mts. Then it was max payne again. I don’t know what it is that makes me do this. I can only study when there are 5 modules to study and 2 days left and sometimes even 1.
It was quickly dinner time after that. I went out, bought some noodles, some beans and carrots and that was my dinner. Pretty tasty especially with the beans and carrot which I normally skip. Then I sat down to see the 9:00 movie only to be disappointed by the bloody power cut at 9:45. Odd timing I tell you. I went up to the terrace which is my usual haunt during power cuts. And thought about the only problem that remained after I got the job. A solutionless 2 year problem. When the current came back, I finished seeing the rest of the movie, checked my mail, put the milk bag with the number 1 written on it to indicate the number of packets, locked the doors, tied up my mosquito net, set the alarm to 7:00 am and slept a dreamless sleep till next day 7:30am.

Comments